Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

Two curries

Dayna, aka The Crafty Scientist contacted me about swapping EVEN more blocks. We're both in the predicament of wanting a bigger quilt than we've got the goods for (and of course, we have extra fabric from the first round of block construction) so I whipped up a couple of curry-heavy blocks in exchange for a couple of mint-heavy blocks.

We have both discovered that color balance is a real challenge when you're piecing together work from 9 different strangers. Who knew?



Looking at the pic, I'm kind of taken aback by how personal these are. I've been raiding my scrap pile to make my blocks, and every fabric I've used here, other than the solids, is left over from another quilt. The fabrics in the curry on the left (is it obnoxious that I want to refer to these like Indian food?) is made up of leftover bits of a quilt I made last year and haven't sold yet, and some binding from one of my eye quilts that is long gone. The curry on the right is made up of more bindings from eye quilts, plus scraps from these commissioned quilts that were only in my life for what seemed like seconds.

Fans of improvisational quilting will probably think it's bunk that curry #2 was pieced in just that style - but I can't help it if I have a more leftover straight-grain binding than the average crafter!

So these are packed up and ready to go, and won't make into my quilt, but into Dayna's. I can't wait to see what she does with them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?